Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Apples: Songs, Books, Fingerplays and a Snack

Apple Fingerplays, Songs, Books and a Snack by Glenda Propst

When the leaves start falling,and the weather starts getting a little cooler you know it's time to pick apples.
This is a great outing for  nannies to do as a group.
Apple Season is a great time to be outdoors, go on nature walks or make a great snack with the apples you pick. Today I am going to share with you some "Apple" fingerplays, songs, books and snacks.

The Apple Tree
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay up high in the apple tree (point up high)
Two little apples smiled at me (make apples with fist and smile)
I shook that tree as hard as I could (Pretend to shake the tree)
Dowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwn came the apples (Make motion like apples falling out of tree)
MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....were they good!!!!!!! (rub tummy)

Apples
Eat an apple; (Bring right hand to mouth) Save the core. (Close right hand in fist) Plant the seeds. (Bend down touch hand to ground) And grow some more. (Extend both arms out)

Here's a great Raffi song about Apples and Bananas. If you don't know the tune, you can listen to it or buy it here

Apples and Bananas
I love to eat Apples and Bananas
I love to eat, eat, eat apples and bananas
I love to eat, eat, eatapples and bananas
I love to ate, ate, ateapples and bananas (say with the long A sound)
I love to ate, ate, ate apples and bananas
I love to eat, eat, eat epples and benenes (say with long E sound) I love to eat, eat, eat epples and benene
I love to ite, ite, ite ipples and bininis I love to ite, ite, ite ipples and bininis (Long I sound)
I love to oat, oat, oatopples and bononos (Long O sound)
Repeat I love to ute, ute, ute upples and bununus (Long U sound)
Repeat I love to eat, eat, eat apples and bananas


You can find lots of great books about apples here and don't forget the one by Dr. Suess:
10 Apples Up on Top
Here's a recipe from Family Fun for some Apple Dip that is sure to be a hit with kids of all ages.
Apple Dip Ingredients


1 1/3 cups peeled, cored, and diced apple

1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

2 teaspoons brown sugar

2 teaspoons apricot preserves

1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

INGREDIENTS FOR CHIPS:

5 (6-inch) flour tortillas

2 tablespoons butter, melted

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 1/2 tablespoons sugar

Instructions

Combine all the dip ingredients in a bowl, then cover and refrigerate the mixture until chilled.

Brush the tortillas with butter, then cut them into wedges.

Arrange the wedges on a greased baking sheet, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, and bake at 350º F until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let them cool before serving. Serves 4 to 6.
 
Here's one more simple apple snack for Apple Season.
Take an apple and cut it into wedges. Give each child 2 wedges. Spread peanut butter (if your child is not allergic, if your child is allergic you could substitute almond butter or sunflower butter) between the wedges. Then take mini marshmallows and add teeth to your smiling mouth.
Feel free to share your favorite apple activity here.
If you would like to feature your craft ideas here on Creative Nanny Wednesday, email Glenda(at)regardingnannies(dot)com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this entry about apples. The little boy I nanny love to sing the apples and bananas song while playing the drums. I think the apple dip would be a fun thing to make on a cooler afternoon this fall. Thanks for the great ideas!